Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Update on my recovery as of mid-July

I visited the cardiologist last week, and got some good news. The results of the ecco that I had were positive -- my heart's ejection fraction is a little low, but not significantly. There's clearly some damage to my heart, but it appears to be minor. She cleared me to raise my heart beat up to 120 beats per minute during exercise. That's very encouraging because keeping things under 100 bpm was discouraging from an exertion standpoint. I've been out on my bike a handful of times now. Mornings and evenings in the summer here in the Seattle area are wonderful times to be on a bike on the Burke-Gilman trail.

The orthopedic surgeon confirmed that the damage to my shoulder is minor and should heal with time, stretching and some strengthening.

I'm officially down 28 pounds since "the event". I was on a 25 pounds-down plateau for a few weeks, so it's nice to be moving in the right direction again.


1 comment:

  1. I'm really enjoying the updates, John. Keep 'em coming. -Dad

    ReplyDelete